Monday, May 14, 2007

The Proshiteration of Choice (Or, Intro to Marketing Paradoxes)


Last week I was shopping at my corner deli. I was itchy for a little carbonation - and I was lingering in front of the refrigerated case that was stocked with Coca-Cola products.

I'm brand-loyal, you see.

As I reached for a bottle of delicious, calorie-free, and (although totally unproven) deadly Diet Coke, I saw something that gave me pause:

There was a new blue themed Diet Coke bottle with a sort of rainbow motif.

That part didn't give me pause. I figured it could have been some new outreach-to-the-Gay-community sort of junked up packaging ploy.

It was the label that did it. It goes a little something like this:

"Diet Coke PLUS With Added Vitamins and Minerals"

I thought I was hallucinating.

The Coca-Cola Company, ever the front-runner in beverage trends, has decided to tear a page from the playbook of all of those pseudo-health beverages by adding "15% of your Daily Value for Niacin and vitamins B6 and B12 and 10% for zinc and magnesium" to its deliciously unnatural formula.

I hate to say it...but I'd rather take my cancer risk-factors straight up...without the side of sort-of-not-really-healthy.

No comments: