Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Purse By Any Other Name (Or, Laughter in the Dark)


The word pocketbook makes me laugh.

Not sure why - just does.

It's my grandmother's word for a purse, a handbag, a clutch.

Sentences like:

"Are my keys in my purse?"

Come out of my grandmother's mouth as:

"Are my keys in my pocketbook?"

And...I wet my pants with laughter.

Don't know why - I just do.

I once saw a play where one of the lead characters had to say "Now, where on Earth did I leave my pocketbook?" about ten times in a row in varying levels of emotional tone. Everytime "pocketbook" was said, I got to giggling so bad, everyone around me in the theater thought I was, well, nuts. I nearly hyperventilated at one point, since there were so many audial "pocketbook"s littering the air.

Unfortunately, the play was not a comedy.

Fortunately, I was not ushered out of the theater.

Thankfully, I had some Valium in my pocketbook to take the edge off.

Up Next: Adverbs Are Fun!

6 comments:

joe*to*hell said...

isn't purse just as hideous? i mean, it is reallllly a verb, is it not?

doesn't one (like me for instance) tend to purse their lips?

what about pursing one's quivering sphincter during anal play?

and sometimes, my shirt purses out over my belly.

paula pursestring said...

Dontcha think handkerchief is equally as stupid? They both are two words mixed to make one,and, when combined, don't add up to the actual item

Anonymous said...

Dontcha think handkerchief is equally as stupid? They both are two words mixed to make one,and, when combined, don't add up to the actual item

Neal said...

my grandmother always called it a handbag. She would tell my mother that a pocketbook is a small book that can fit in a pocket, and purse is something you do with your lips.
Notice how many fags are commenting on this? hi Joe

noTORiou$ said...

My nana not only said pocketbook, but she also said davenport! I didn't even know what she was talking about until I was like 16 and finally said, "What the fuck is a davenport?" I think the worst word in the world is "panties" by far.

TM said...

I think there's a quaint charm in "panties" especially when you refer to men.

Maybe I'm just remembering (with a little too much verve) Reese Witherspoon saying this in "Freeway" as she was robbing one of her johns and forcing him to strip at gunpoint:

"That's right pervert. Get them panties off. Get allll them panties off."