Friday, September 21, 2007

Celluloid Savant (Or, Film Strip Poker)

I have a lot of useless information in my head.

Most of it has to do with movies.

Before the days of digital cable, I would frequently scare friends and family members by being able identify films on TV in a matter of seconds.

Most were films I'd never seen before - but knew of - who starred, etc. - and could name in a flash.

I recently scared a blogger in Denver in a game he created called "Six Degrees of Parker Posey". His challenge was to connect Posey to John Wayne in six films or less...which I did with the help of Julianne Moore, Nicole Kidman, and Lauren Bacall.

Once friends are past being truly frightened by this aspect of my psyche, they use me as an informal encyclopedia. My friend Torrey once called me in a cold sweat because the name of a child actress from the 1970s was killing him.

"She was on Diff'rent Strokes...but not all the time."

"She might have been on Little House on the Prairie a few times."

"She had freckles and a raspy voice"

"She was in a film where an old woman was trying to kill her."

In a matter of minutes I was able to talk Torrey down...finding the talented Miss Kim Richards for him on imdb.com based on his frantically random qualifiers.

5 comments:

Junk Thief said...

When you get down to it, Lauren Bacall can connect us to some rather odd dots on the trajectory of film history. She's probably 3 degrees away from everyone from Edison's era to today. I can't wait to see "The Walker". And she has lip synched to Andy Williams.

T$ said...

Totally. When first got the call to arms with John Wayne...I knew it was Bacall that would work wonders. Guess that's what a 60+ year career will do for a gal.

Big Daddy said...

Posted a new one - Audrey Hepburn to Parker Posey.

Greg said...

Damn, we could have used you during parties in high school!!

T$ said...

I'm an idiot savant...don't know how it happened...just did.