Sunday, October 07, 2007

A Loon for the Misbegotten (Or, Toots)

Adding to the pile of words I love...here's one sort-of-charmingly-sexist, outdated term that tickles me pink.

Toots.

Now, that's not "toooooots" as in: "I ate a lot of eggplant, broccoli, and garlic for dinner and now I have a bad case of the toots" or "Charlie Parker really toots on that horn".

It's toots (pronounced "tutz") as in short for tootsie.

It's one of those terms of endearment I like to lob at people (of course, men too) from time to time like:

"Hey toots, can you get me a coffee?"

Or...

"Pipe down, toots. I'm trying to watch Wifeswap."

Or...

"Wow, toots. Your tits look real nice in that top."

So, go ahead. Try using it in a sentence....or, better yet, sling it around at work like a drunken sailor on shore leave and get yourself fired for sexual harrassment.

4 comments:

TWISI said...

"Wow, toots. Your tits look real nice in that top."

I think I am going to use that one on our Security Director at work, he has a great chest!

Big Daddy said...

Last time I 'slung it around' while on shore-leave, I developed a discharge and it was painful to urinate.

Ha ha.

Kidding.

Colleen said...

I think it depends greatly on who's calling me toots. Some sad old swing-dance revivalist, maybe not so much. But from you? Sure!

T$ said...

TW - go for it!

BD - are you sure you're kidding? It's OK if you're not. Remember, chlamydia is not a flower.

C - I wholeheartedly agree. I tend to say it to those who I know can take it. Since I now know you can...get ready for it, toots!