Friday, October 26, 2007

Someone's Not In the Kitchen With Dinah (Or, Le Menu)


As far as the nature vs. nurture argument goes, either way you cut it, cooking doesn't run in my family.

We simply don't do it.

That's not to say we don't love food - quite the opposite. We just don't like to get down and dirty with the culinary arts ourselves.

Last night, my mother called around 7:30 and I had to rush her off the phone:

"I can't talk now. I'll call you this weekend."

"You sound like you're in a hurry."

"Well, a friend is coming over for dinner."

"WHAT?"

Yes, my mother was that shocked. She continued:

"You're cooking?"

"Am I suddenly not your child? Of course not. I'm ordering in."

"Oh, thank God. I was worried. For a second, I thought it was something other than a Bring-Your-Own-Take-Out-Menu type of thing."

8 comments:

Christopher said...

But I bet ya can cook outside of the kitchen just fine?

hello, my name is danny. said...

hahaha! i was going to say,

"as long as you can manage to heat up the meat in the bedroom, you should be fine!"

but christopher kinda beat me to it.

Ladron de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I'm kind of that way with anatomy and biology. I am really fond of the human body (when it's tasty and in good shape) but not into the stuff doctors and physical therapists have to do to get them into shape.

Wesley Darling said...

Hello!

1) you're stylish. Love the graphics.

2) I've never really cooked much, but what I can cook is a somewhat inventive array of pre-packaged food turned into something completely different. Menu includes: Freezer pizza decorated with exciting gourmet food, Boxed pasta spruced up with cheese, vegetables and tuna/chicken, and top ramen stir fry (a surprisingly delicious treat.)

JOE * to * HELL said...

wesley, that sounds like cher's character in mermaids. do you cut your sandwiches with a cookie cutter in fun shapes, too?

jason said...

Please don't ever scare your mother like that again.

kusala said...

Hmm, I can be a fiend in the kitchen. Sounds like a complementary skill set to me...

The end of your post reminded me of a former coworker who said her husband couldn't cook, but he could dial.

T$ said...

k - I love to eat...therefore...I am always a sucker for a good cook...