Wednesday, December 12, 2007

18 + 18 = ID (Or, You Old Baby)

During the party I went to Saturday night, I ran out with my friend Torrey to buy a pack of cigarettes.

Hey, it's the holidays.

At Torrey's corner deli, something happened that thrilled me...at first.

I got carded.

Now, getting carded for alcohol is one thing...but proving I'm over 18 is something I haven't had to do since I turned 30.

I balked when the counterwoman asked me to see my ID.

"Are you serious? I'm old."

"Oh, I know you old baby. I just need to see your ID."

And with that, the slight thrill I had seconds before was gone, daddy, gone.

4 comments:

Darth Gateau said...

for years I was asked for ID and I was smug in my youthful appearance. Then, one day it all just stopped. No-one asks any more. No-one cares.

Sigh. Lost youth... I wish I could find one, they're always so much prettier!

Muzbot said...

I've NEVER been asked for ID ever. I must always look old.

Big Daddy said...

I got carded for smokes a couple of weeks back.

I love it when that happens.

TWISI said...

i hate those slap in the face moments.