Saturday, December 01, 2007

Today Today Today (Or, The First Of December)

Today is World AIDS Day.

And since BV takes it's name - in part - from Neneh Cherry, here's her video (from the still most excellent album and DVD Red Hot + Blue) for "I've Got You Under My Skin".

I'd say enjoy...but that's a little antithetical.

I remember when Red Hot + Blue came out in 1990. As an album and accompanying television special, it was radical popular culture (back when such AIDS awareness and education was just barely being addressed by the mainstream media) - having popular musicians cover the works of a known gay composer (Cole Porter) for the benefit of research and education.

Hard to believe it's nearly 20 years old now.

Below: Annie Lennox performing "Every Time We Say Goodbye" - also used to great effect in Derek Jarman's Edward II (another early 1990s rumination on homophobia and the AIDS crisis)



Below: remember when activism was, uh, active?

3 comments:

TWISI said...

thanks for the remembrance

kusala ~ joe said...

I remember watching and videotaping the TV special way back then. The VHS got lost somewhere along the way, but I may need to search this out on DVD somehow if it's available. I think of all those songs, k.d. lang's So In Love is the likeliest to bring a tear to my eyes, followed by the Neville Brothers' In the Still of the Night.

And here I am, seventeen years later... wondering...

Big Daddy said...

I still play this CD every now and then.