Monday, February 11, 2008

Catastrophe (Or, We're the Architects of the World)

I'm feeling this song today - not sure why...it was a big, big favorite of mine a couple of years ago...and the band has since broken up.

Here's Rainer Maria* with "Catastrophe".

Enjoy.

*Given my krautastic tendencies, it was/is a brilliant name for a band. Officially, they took their name from the poet Rainer Maria Rilke...but when I first heard of them, I immediately thought Fassbinder. Either way, it's a hot krauty reference.

5 comments:

joe said...

Great song. I'm with you all the way on the krautastic tendencies... but I'm ashamed that I haven't yet seen even one of the Fassbinder films that have been in my Netflix queue forever.

T$ said...

You have to see The Marriage of Maria Braun at the absolute least.

joe said...

I think Fox and His Friends is highest in my queue right now, but you're right, I do need to start my education in the "Werner Rainer" school.

T$ said...

Those earlier films (Fox included) can be a little tough at first...that's why I recommended Mariafirst. The new Criterion DVD is amazing.

Of course, I'll warn you now: Fassbinder films can be more fun thinking and talking about than watching.

joe said...

I've done my share of tough films (The Exterminating Angel... oy vay) -- sometimes they work for me and sometimes they don't. I start to have limited patience for obtuseness sometimes, but I do want to check a couple of these out. Thanks for the reminder.