Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What's the Wurst That Could Happen? (Or, Krautastic Tuesday)

I've professed my love for meat products to an embarrassing degree...but I can't help but keep on keepin' on that topic for this week's Krautastic Tuesday.

Germans "do" meat so well it hurts (see also: German Cuisine..."The average person in Germany will consume up to 72 pounds of meat in a year."). When I was in Berlin a couple of years ago, I was overwhelmed at culinary possibilities...even though meat products were all that was really on offer. I developed a nose for finding street vendors selling currywurst (a hands-down favorite) and, of course, had to pull over and get down with some curried sausage every single time I got a whiff.

When I showed my (German) family photographs of Berlin after I returned, my Grandmother seemed a little unimpressed with the imagery. She instead grilled me about the food...and was clearly envious when I told her probably ate her weight in Bratwurst the week that I was there. For a woman whose main food groups are butter and pork, my version of Berlin (where there's pork sausage waiting to be inhaled on every corner) nearly brought her to tears.

There are a few German restaurants in New York that I've been introduced to...and have since fallen in love with (Lederhosen being the downest and dirtiest...writing all of this makes me want to run to the Village and scarf down whatever lunch special they have on offer)...but I still dream of street vendors grilling up their wursts in the open air.

5 comments:

Tarek said...

Wie ich lang, in eine See von Wurst zu schwimmen!

joe said...

Did you get into the Döner they sell at the Turkish Imbiße on every other corner in Germany? Mmmm... German and Turkish meats.

Big Daddy said...

If you're ever in Denver, you have to check out Cafe Berlin.

I almost exploded from all the food when I ate there last.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...how come in your bio you don't mention your 4 years at Roosevelt High School in Ohio? Did we forget our roots honey?

joe*to*hell said...

anonymous...if i went to some public school in ohio, i dont thnk i'd admit it publicly either.

and how come your comment is anonymous? did you forget your name, honey?