Thursday, May 29, 2008

So Long, Toots (Or, He Shot Movies, Didn't He?)

I was shocked (and saddened) by the death of Sydney Pollack earlier this week...he was a semi-legend in my house growing up because of two things:

1. Tootsie (goes without saying)

and

2. The Way We Were

My mother's obsession with the latter movie always ran deep...when Tootsie came out (when I was in the fifth grade, I begged to see as soon as it came out during Christmas break), I remember my mother stating with commanding authority:

"Well of course it's going to be good...Sydney Pollack directed it. He directed The Way We Were."

It seems like he made far more movies than he actually did...I suppose because he had turned up in films so many, many times as an actor (I think he might have been at his best going toe-to-toe with Judy Davis in Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives).

Anyway, I highly recommend They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

1 comment:

Big Daddy said...

I liked him as the dad on Will and Grace as well.