Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Genius of Beth Grant (Or, Sparkle Motion)

A few weeks ago, I attended the premiere of Sordid Lives: The Series (more on that later). The entire cast was present...including Beth Grant. In a sea of over the top performances from the likes of Leslie Jordan, Caroline Rhea, and Bonnie Bedelia, Grant easily steals the show. As the back-combed, chain-smoking, pill-popping Aunt Sissy, she's a marvel.

For those of you familiar with the work of Beth Grant you already know she's a national treasure. She shows up in character roles just about everywhere (from The Golden Girls to Speed to Pearl Harbor to Flags of Our Fathers to Little Miss Sunshine to Six Feet Under).

When she turns up in the last act of No Country For Old Men in a battered wig and thick Sophia Loren Collection eyeglasses, she singlehandedly steers the somber film into semi-camp terrritory. When she declares: "I'm just filled up with that cancer!" you can't help but laugh despite yourself.

My friend Patty recently got into an argument with someone regarding Ms. Grant. Evidently, Grant appears in a current insurance commerical.

PATTY: Beth Grant in a commercial? That's a crime.

BYSTANDER: I'm pretty sure no one knows who she is.

PATTY: Can it, bitch. Beth Grant is a star.

To confirm Patty's thesis, below is Beth Grant in Donnie Darko delivering the best line of any film this decade:

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion."

3 comments:

Greg said...

Beth Grant is the funniest woman around. I loved her in Donnie Darko, Little Miss Sunshine, and even No Country for Old Men. they should give Aunt Sissy her own show!!!

jason said...

I only know her from Donnie Darko, and of course, love her. Guess I have my homework cut out for me now.

Big Daddy said...

I love her expressions 'I did not need to know that' and 'sweet baby Jesus!' on the Sordid series.